A   A   A  
You are not logged in. Log in | Register

The Carers Centre

Benefit Guides

Attendance Allowance

Bereavement Allowance

Bereavement Support Payments

Carers Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Council Tax Benefit

Disability Living Allowance

Employment Support Allowance

Employment Support for Youths

Guardians Allowance

Housing Benefit

Incapacity Benefit For Youths

Income Support

Industrial Injuries Benefit (Accident)

Industrial Injuries Benefit (Diseases and Deafness)

Jobseekers Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Pension Credit

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Retirement Pension

Severe Disablement Allowance

Social Fund

Statutory Adoption Pay

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Paternity Pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Universal Credit

War Disablement Allowance

War Widows Pension

Widows Benefits

Working Tax Credits

Benefits Guides

You are here: Benefits Guides  |  Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefits are no longer available to most new claims unless in certain supported accommodation or have the Severe Disability Premium in another benefit, it has been replaced for most new claims by Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit is paid by the local Council to help with your rent. It is sometimes called rent rebate or rent allowance and Local Housing Allowance.

It does not cover costs other than rent and other housing costs, for example, mortgage interest. If you get Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance Income Based or Pension Credit Guarantee You may be able to get help with mortgage interest as part of these benefits.

You may be entitled to Housing Benefit if you are:

On a low income?

Paying rent?

Not working?

You do not have to get any other benefits to claim Housing Benefit.

Savings over £16,000 usually mean you will not be able to get Housing Benefit, although this £16,000 limit does not apply if you or a partner get Pension Credit Guarantee.

Savings over £6,000 (£10,000 for Pensioners) will usually affect how much Housing Benefit you can get.

There are special rules if you are single and aged under 35 years. (single room rent restrictions) and have a private let

Some asylum seekers and people who are sponsored to be in the UK cannot get Housing Benefit.

You cannot usually get Housing Benefit if you live in a close relative's household.

You cannot usually get Housing Benefit if you are a full-time student, unless you are disabled or have children.

To work out your Housing Benefit, the Council will look at:

Money you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits, Tax Credits and things like occupational pensions

Your savings and your partner's savings

Your circumstances, such as your age, the ages and size of your family, whether you or any of your family are disabled, and whether anyone who lives with you could help with the rent.

The Council will also look at whether:

The amount of rent is reasonable for your particular home

Your home is a reasonable size for you and your family

The amount of rent is reasonable for the area your home is in or by using your Local Housing Allowance rate.


Local Housing Allowance (LHA) was introduced for all new private lets taken out after April 2008 this will effect entitlement to Housing Benefit for all new private tenents claiming Housing Beneift after this date contact your local Council for your local LHA rates or check Here.

The most Housing Benefit you can get is the same as your eligible rent. This may not be the same as your full rent. The rates used to work out your Housing Benefit payment are generally the same as the allowance and premiums that make up Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance Income Based, Pension Credit Guarantee or Employment Support Allowance.

There are a few exceptions listed below.

Only use the amounts shown as a guide.

Weekly amounts:

Deductions for non-dependants

Aged 18 or over, not in remunerative work


aged 25 or over and receiving Income Support


Jobseekers Allowance Income Based


Employment Support Allowance


gross income less than £149

deduction = £15.85

Aged 18 or over and in remunerative work with gross income of:

£149 or work less than 16 hours deduct £15.85

£149 to £216.99 deduct £36.45

£217 to £282.99 deduct £50.05

£283 to £376.99 deduct £81.90

£377 to £468.99 deduct £93.25

£469 and over deduct £102.35

If you are eligible, claim straight away. If you delay you may lose benefit.

You can claim up to 13 weeks before you become entitled to Housing Benefit., so if you know you are moving to a new address soon, you can claim Housing Benefit. You will not usually receive any money before you move in.

If you claim Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit  you will get forms to claim Housing Benefit with your claim pack or claim on the phone line 0800 0 55 66 88. Complete and return the form with your Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit claim form.

If you do not claim Income Support, Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance or Pension Credit you can get forms for Housing Benefit from your local Council.

Members Area

You are not logged in. Log in or register to access these areas.

Carers Message Board
Live Chat Services
Benefits Calculator
Training Area
Latest Carer News
Useful Links

Log in or register to view this content.

Log in or register to view this content.
Make Carers Centre your homepage
Add to Bookmarks/Favourites
Tell a friend about this page

Carers' Stories

Case studies and people helped throughout the UK.