A   A   A  
You are not logged in. Log in | Register

The Carers Centre

Benefit Guides

Attendance Allowance

Bereavement Allowance

Bereavement Support Payments

Carers Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Council Tax Benefit

Disability Living Allowance

Employment Support Allowance

Employment Support for Youths

Guardians Allowance

Housing Benefit

Incapacity Benefit For Youths

Income Support

Industrial Injuries Benefit (Accident)

Industrial Injuries Benefit (Diseases and Deafness)

Jobseekers Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Pension Credit

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Retirement Pension

Severe Disablement Allowance

Social Fund

Statutory Adoption Pay

Statutory Maternity Pay

Statutory Paternity Pay

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Universal Credit

War Disablement Allowance

War Widows Pension

Widows Benefits

Working Tax Credits

Benefits Guides

You are here: Benefits Guides  |  Child Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit

Working and/or Child Tax Credits are no longer available for new claims (With a very limited exception for some disabled claimants) they have been replaced for new claims by Universal Credit.

What is it?

You can apply for two tax credits, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit - payable from April 2003.

The general rule is that to qualify for tax credits you must be aged 16 or over and usually live in the United Kingdom.

Couples must make a joint tax credits application. If you are part of a couple, you cannot decide to apply as a single person.

Child Tax Credit is for people who are responsible for at least one child or qualifying young person. Child Tax Credit is paid if you work or not, and is paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children. If you are a lone parent you will receive the payment.

Working Tax Credit is for people who are employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership), who usually work 16 hours if a single parent or 24 hours weekly if a couple with children, and expect to work for at least 4 weeks or over, or aged 16 or over with no children but who are disabled, or aged 25 or over and usually work at least 30 hours a week or over 60 working 16+ hours.

NOTE: Many couples with children do not need the 24 hours if one is disabled, sick ect check 01387-266888

As part of Working Tax Credit you may qualify for help towards the costs of childcare. If you receive the childcare element of Working Tax Credit, this will always be paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children, alongside payments of Child Tax Credit.

The amount of tax credits you receive will depend on your annual income.

Please check your entitlements HERE.

Other Help:

Guardian's Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Sure Start Maternity Grant

Widows Benefits

Income Support

Working Tax Credit

Housing Benefit

Council Tax Benefit

Members Area

You are not logged in. Log in or register to access these areas.

Carers Message Board
Live Chat Services
Benefits Calculator
Training Area
Latest Carer News
Useful Links

Log in or register to view this content.

Log in or register to view this content.
Make Carers Centre your homepage
Add to Bookmarks/Favourites
Tell a friend about this page

Carers' Stories

Case studies and people helped throughout the UK.